- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 26 oz. roma tomatoes, diced (about 7-8)
- ¼ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, then more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped basil ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1 (14.5 oz) loaf hearty french bread (such as La Brea), sliced into ½-inch thick slices (about 12 slices)
- For tomato mixture: Heat olive oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute until just starting to turn golden (don't brown it), about 1 minute.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl. Let cool while you chop the tomatoes and basil.
- Pour tomatoes into bowl with cooled oil mixture. Add parmesan, basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss mixture well. Serve right away over toasted bread (spoon some of the juices along with it). Garnish with more parmesan if desired.
- To toast bread: position oven rack a few inches below broil and preheat broiler. Align bread slices on an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet. Broil first side until golden brown, about 1 minute (don't walk away and keep and eye on them they'll brown quickly), then flip slices to opposite side and broil opposite side until golden brown.
Explore more family fun recipes